1. Proclamation of scientific research results:
The USSH is implementing many forms of proclamations such as journals, annals and collections of theses in order
+ to publish scientific researches
+ to elaborate the submissions and evaluation organizations for articles of the Journal of Science and Technology Development (a periodical on social sciences and humanities). The agency for periodical publishing is located at the Office for Science Project Management.
+ to elaborate the process of submission, edition, and publications of the annals on social science and humanities (with one periodic publication per two year-quarters). Each annals has from 400 to 500 pages.
During the past three years (2012-2014), the University of Social Sciences and Humanities has published the collection of scientific articles which encompass four spheres: literature, linguistics, philosophy and cultural studies. Each collection includes the profound writings reflecting comprehensive knowledge in the field which each academic faculty represents.
Affiliation to publishing houses to support lecturer’s authority.
The University has built linkages to many publishing units including the Publishing house of VNU HCMC, the Publishing house of HCMC, the Publishing house of HCMC Education, the Publishing house of Arts and Cultures. The linkage fortification is aimed at fostering the university publications.
Recently, the Board of Editors has been successfully supporting lecturers sending their scientific works to the press. The works include:
• History of Philosophical Theories in Vietnam from the national foundation days to the beginning of 20th century: Associate Prof. Dr. Trinh Doan Chinh
• Greatest Ideologies in Vietnam from 15th century to 19th century: Associate Prof. Dr. Trinh Doan Chinh
• Embracing life contemporary short fiction from southern Vietnam: Dr. Nguyen Thi Kieu Thu (Faculty of English Linguistics and Literature)
• Fukuzama and Nguyen Truong To – Education Renovating Ideologies: Associate Prof. Dr. Nguyen Tien Luc (Department of Japanese Studies)
• Vietnam and Japan: the movement of civilization at the end of 19th century and the beginning of 20th century: Associate Prof. Dr. Nguyen Tien Luc
• The origin of Vietnamese names: Associate Prof. Dr. Le Trung Hoa
• The Southern region: Land and people ( 09 volumes): The Association of HCMC History in collaboration with USSH faculties
• The Research on Vietnamese culture’s identities
• Some issues on Theoretical and Applied Culturology: Prof. Dr. Tran Ngoc Them
• Urban Studies – Theories and Practical approaches: Associate Prof. Dr. Nguyen Minh Hoa
• Impressions on the Mekong Delta culture: Dr. Huynh Cong Tin
• Some cultural distinctions of Southern cultures through its dialects
• The lifestyle and perceptions among Vietnamese community in the Southeast area in the period of restoration and international integration: Associate Prof. Dr. Trinh Doan Chinh
• Genders and Migrations - The Asian vision: Dr. Nguyen Hong Xoan
• Euro- American scholars’ standpoints on movements of new religions: Associate Prof. Dr. Truong Van Chung
• The Basis of Literature Analysis: Prof. Dr. Huynh Nhu Phuong
• The Fundamental Anthropology: Faculty of Anthropology
• The “Go” Culture: Associate Prof. Dr. Vo Van Nhon
• Temples, pagodas, shrines and museums – intangible heritage of culture in HoChiMinh city: Dr. Ho Son Diep, Dr. Nguyen Van Hiep
• Tan Khanh Martial Arts in Ba Tra, Binh Duong province: Dr. Ho Son Diep
• Fenghuan patterns on Chinese ceramic artifact in the dynasty of Ming and Qing (chronological records): Dr. Nguyen Ngoc Tho
• Globalization, local cultures and some approaches to Anthropology: faculty of Anthropology
• The reminiscence of Hanoi prideful victory: The Dien Bien Phu air campaign in 1972: Associate Prof. Dr. Ha Minh Hong, Associate Prof. Dr. Vo Van Sen
• Craft villages and tourism development, USSH
• Dien Bien Phu – some historical issues (04 volumes): USSH in association with Thu Dau Mot University
• The sustainable development in Mekong Delta area – Theoretical and practical aspects: University of Social Sciences and Humanities.
2. The stimulation for research proclamations:
Conferences for scientific research proclamations:
In order to gradually heighten educational and research quality, the Office of Scientific Project Management assigns a yearly activity to proclaim the scientific works of USSH lecturers and outside lecturers. In this activity, the objective is to focus and broadly introduce the technological outcomes, thereby putting forward initiatives of USSH lecturers’ achievements to the public.
Moreover, these activities relevantly meet the interchange’s requirement and information dissemination as a chief promotion channel for teachers and researchers. Works chosen for publicizing are themes and research projects with high values and high applicability which bring back fruitful and practical benefits for community and life in the area of social sciences and humanities.
Policies of incentive motivation for lecturers who are researchers with specific projects.
The USSH offers encouragement to enhance the quality and quantity of articles posted on ISI magazines
Over the past few years, the following articles, of which authors are USSH lecturers, pressed in some scientific magazines which have the indicator of ISI:
(1) Research article abstracts in applied linguistics and educational technology: a study of linguistic realizations of rhetorical structure and authorial stance (Author Dr. Pho Phuong Dung, Faculty of English Linguistics and Literature, USSH VNU HCMC)
(2) Climatic hazards, health risk and response in vietnam: fire studies on social dimensions of vulnerability (Roger Few và Pham Gia Tran, Faculty of Geography, USSH VNU HCMC)
(3) Seasonality, disease and behavior: using multiple methods to explore socio-environmental health risks in the Mekong delta (Roger Few, Iain Lake, Paul R. Hunter, Dr. Pham Gia Tran, Faculty of Geography, USSH VNU HCMC)
Incitement for lecturer’s participations in domestic and international conferences:
Annually, the University designates approximately 350 turnovers of lecturers and staff to take part in scientific conferences or short-term trainings overseas. In these conferences, lecturers have more opportunities to publish their works.
Stimulations for lecturers to participate in practical survey groups to exploit provincial themes:
USSH has spurred on some bid auctions to progress the projects and activated technology transfers in provincial and municipal locales including Binh Duong, Tien Giang, Vung Tau, Lam Dong, Dong Thap, Can Tho, Tra Vinh, Long An, Dak Lak, Dak Nong.
Encouragement to support lecturer’s participations to study contemporary research knowledge in training courses.
Some typical classes had been held on Religious research (2013), Softwares for teaching methods (2013)…
3. National and International expansion in education and research
The university nationwide puts emphasis on joint education programs at provinces; some of these programs can be listed as follow:
• New methods for social sciences and humanities teaching in Dong Thap province
• The workshop: Eco-tourism (Tien Giang province 6/2013)
• The workshop: The Craft Village and Tourism Development in Binh Duong province (3/2014)
• The convention of Xu Goddess’s Worship (Chau Doc town, An Giang province -2014)
• The convention: The scientific research in high-school in Dong Thap province (5/2014)
Connections for international research and cooperation:
There are pioneering movements of foreign lecturers invitations to develop international programs in the University;
Specialized thematic courses are opened to lecturers and students;
There is an intense exchange of best students among various universities;
There are courses to introduce and offer procedural supports for proclamation submissions;
The intensification of international convention organization and actively new steps for registering in international project involvement with an extensive work-power.
The research capability improvement for lecturers and students:
Practicums for research and science applications. In 2013-2014, the University organizes many workshops with more than 300 lecturers to visit and register their publication numbers.
4. Polices of incentive supports for lecturers to join scientific research.
5.The stimulation for publications on specialized journals
6. Results of scientific proclamations:
- Scientific themes: There is an increase of projects registered by lecturers, the themes relating to provinces and cities and approved by Nafosted grow steadily year by year.
In 2012: there were 04 ISSN papers, 11 ISBN papers, 111 national ISSN papers; 159 papers for the ISBN yearbook, 33 writings for USSH annals.
In 2013: there were 01 ISI papers, 31 international ISSN papers, 12 international ISBN papers, 198 national ISBN papers; 151 national ISBN papers, 54 writing for USSH annals
7. Orientations for science and technology development in 2011-2015
Some of priorities in research
• Collection and research for the legacy of Chinese-transcribed Vietnamese language;
• Research on practical phonology;
• Research on Vietnamese and international literature;
• Research on Vietnamese and international languages;
• Research on Cultural Studies Analysis,
• Research on Vietnamese and international cultures;
• Research on Philosophy and Philosophy in Vietnam;
• Research on Climate Change;
• Research on Vietnamese Sea and Islands;
• Research on Regional studies (Vietnam - Southeast – Chinese studies);
• The Southern Vietnam – A century of development from the past to present (in the beginning of 20-21th century);
• History of Southern culture through archeology;
• Economy-Culture-Society of fishermen community in the South, the Southern nomads, workers and social welfare in industrial zones and manufactory areas;
• Eco-socio development in Mekong Delta area in the scenario of international economic integration;
• Research on indigenous intellectualism among ethnic groups in the Southern area and the Southern Highland;
• Research on folklore beliefs in the Southern area and in Highland;
• Systems of philosophical ideologies in the East and West countries and Vietnamese social customs;
Investment policies for scientific and technological activities
- To consist motivational codes to spur on personnel improvement with specialized course attendances to meet research and teaching requirements in society.
- To be persistent to determined polices for investment into scientific and technological activities in the area of social sciences and humanities, which includes encouragement to devise, progress and proclaim the scientific projects.
-To develop science and technology amenity and facility (laboratories, research centers, libraries, databases for research purposes) and a versatile supporting procedures (legitimate registration and relevant incentives)
- To encourage research and research announcement as well as journals publications witthin the nation and in the world. The furtherance is illustrated by an enactment of conversion between research hours and teaching hours as well as supporting payment of additional allowance.
- There come some strategies for science and technology development.
The university of social sciences and humanities persistently lays its determination for a strategic constructions and developments for the foundation of advanced, research-based university in the area.
- To build research groups who are in charge of scientific and technological mission (fundamental and applicable research, especially in Anthropology, History – Archeology, Cultural Studies, Urban Studies, Sociology, Environmental Geography, Tourist Studies, Religions studies, Vietnamese studies); There is a continuity of key projects development which are elaborated in the first stage (i.e, Museum of History and Culture; The Office for Sino-Vietnamese character heritage, The Center for Research on Phonology in use, the Project of collection and research on Vietnamese sea and islands in the area of social sciences and humanities), the project of Internet Research, the Center for Psychological Therapy .etc)
-There is an intention for interdisciplinary research group’s formation to make grow many social services for History-Culture-Archeology; Anthropology-culture-Society, History-Geography-International Relations, Urban Studies-Sociology, Tourism-Geography…
-To make easy conditions for research groups who undertake scientific projects for national to locality-leveled accountability, from the state-leveled to the institutional-leveled accountability.
-To have agileness in the work of seeking international partners for academic and scientific research goals to collaborate successfully international projects (some close partners are Silpakorn –Thailand; Institute of Harvard-Yenching – the United States, Hiroshima University – Japan, Sumitomo Foundation – Japan, Korean Foundation – Korea, Rosan Foundation- German, DAAD – German …) and there is an attempt to have international publications (ISI journals)
-To form and maintain academic activities and publishing for scientific products to set up an progressive environment and to keep pace with updated trends compared with global academies)