The University of Social Sciences and Humanities, VNU HCMC is one of two largest, reputable centers for social sciences and humanities research in Vietnam, compared with University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Hanoi. The university accounts for 22,000 students in a 63 varied specialized disciplines in undergraduate level, 38 postgraduate disciplines and a increasing international co-operations with a potential effectiveness.
The university always puts an emphasis on its stature, identity and primary mission to improve education – training and scientific research in harmony with social and realistic issues relating to social sciences and humanities in Vietnam and in the world. The team of lecturers, researchers in USSH now consists of 45 professors, 184 doctors, 413 masters (according to the statistical survey by April 2014).
The majority of lecturers and researchers is conducting scientific research works, which are important and effective to accelerate scientific awareness among the community, and are regarded as a impetus to develop society, especially the South of Vietnam. Many successful outcomes of researching were published in forms of articles, textbooks, referential books that are highly valued and welcomed broadly in society.
In addition, in partnership with more than 150 universities, institutes over the world, USSH is implicated as a bridge and an academic partner to have insights and applications in the light of new theories, novel methodologies, contemporary approaches and modern perspectives for social sciences and humanities research in Vietnam.
The university has 28 faculties and departments which are responsible for 98 scientific disciplines. Due to a diversity of contrasting disciplinary separation, the university is widely elaborating the educational and scientific works in most of social sciences and humanities fields. Apart from academic training units, USSH comprises many centers and research centers as listed:
- The Center for Vietnamese and Southeast Asian Research
- The Center for Theoretical and Applied Cultural Studies.
- The Center for Korean Studies.
- The Center for Urban Studies.
- The Center for Sea and Island Studies.
- The Center for Strategic and National Policy Studies.
- The Center for Applied Sociology Studies.
- Museum of Culture, USSH
- Office for Chinese-transcribed Vietnamese linguistic studies.
- Office for Application of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Office for Environmental Laboratory.
Currently, the university is promoting some following science arrays:
- Improving the quality and quantity of researcher teams who are capable to carry out researching works and apply on national projects.
- Enhancing the advantages of inter-disciplinary researches.
- Facilitating conditions to organize nationally and internationally as many scientific workshops and conferences to ameliorate the academic capability as well as researching methods to some lecturers.
Prompting the publication of articles, journals, inferential books for scientific research purposes.
Improving researching works among students and supporting young lecturers to carry out scientific research and scientific projects.
- Improving knowledge dissemination in community and scientific transferring projects.
- Supporting favorable conditions for scientific article publications on scientific journals domestically and internationally (especially on journals which have indicatives of ISI and ISSN);
Developing activities as to international academic exchange and scientific research effectiveness.
- Types of awards for student scientific researches
+ Awards for student scientific researches in university-level.
+ Awards for student scientific researches in HoChiMinh city-level.
+ Awards for student scientific researches in Vietnamese National University-level.
+ Awards for student scientific researches in Science and Technology Ministry-level.
Lists of projects and key researching works in progress:
USSH, VNU HCMC is presiding and conducting more than 30 scientific theses in Vietnamese National University and Provincial level upwards. Some typical theses include:
Social sciences and humanities studies on Vietnamese sea and islands. (the key project in Vietnamese National University level).
Some economic, cultural and social issues in the region of Thoai Son, An Giang province (the key project in collaboration between USSH- VNU HCMC and USSH – VNU Hanoi).
History of Hatien region (the project in Hatien town)
Renovating teaching methods in social sciences and humanities subjects in high-schools and secondary schools of Dong Thap province (the project is a cooperation between USSH, VNU HCMC and Department of Education and Training, Dong Thap province).
- The researching project on prevention and reduction to climate change (a project of VNU HCMC)
- The collection project of Chinese-transcribed Vietnamese linguistic materials in the South of Vietnam (a project of VNU HCMC)
- The women’s access to land in Vietnam (an UNDP project conducted by Faculty of Anthropology)
A comparative research on culture and literature between Vietnam and Korea (a project of Korea Foundation).
-06 theses of the NAFOSTED technological and engineering fund.
- Theses, projects belongs to Rosa Fund, Sumitomo fund, Toyota fund…
In the near future, the University will stimulate an implementation to conduct many applicable theses into society with large and medium scales. International cooperations will be intensified to have valued opportunities in scientific researches with MOU-signed partners especially in the United States, Australia, Japan, Korea, Thailand…
Orientation for technological and scientific development in the period 2014-2017:
Some priorities will be emphasized on:
-Collection and researches on Chinese-transcribed Vietnamese language heritage.
-Practical phonology researches.
-Researches on cultural analysis, Vietnamese and global cultural issues.
-Researches on Vietnamese and global literature
-Researches on philosophy and philosophy in Vietnam
-Researches on regional sciences (Vietnam – Southeast Asia – Chinese studies)
-The South of Vietnam – a century of development from traditional to contemporary views (from the beginning of 20th century to the beginning of 21th century)
-Cultural history through the lens of archeology.
-Studies on Vietnamese sea and islands.
-Economy – culture- society of Southern fishermen, nomadic vendors coummunity.
-Workers and social welfare in industrial zones and processing ares.
- economic-social development in the Mekong delta rural areas in the context of world economic integration.
- Researches on climate changes.
Researches on indigeous knowledge on Southern and South of Highland ethnic minorities.
-Studies on folk religious beliefs in the South of Vietnam.
Systems of phylosophical doctrines in the West and East and social rituals – classicalism.
Policies for encouraging investment to scientific and technological activities.
- To continue encouraging policies for lecturers and staff to study and cultivate their specializations in order to respond the increasing demands of researching and teaching in society
- To remain a consistence for effortable investment with affordable capital to strengthen scientific and technological activities in the field of social sciences and humanites, which include motivations for forming, developing and proclaiming research achievements.
- To continue facility investment (research laboratories, centers, libraries, databases for research convenience) and regulations for research encouragement (procedural simplification, legal supports and directions for praise, commendation)
- To continue policies of motivating research results and proclamations domestically and internationally under rules of supporting payments and a calculable conversion between research time and teaching time.
Investment plans for scientific and technological in the period of 2014-2017.
- To form some research teams who undertake scientific and technological missions (including fundamental and applied researches).
- To formulate a foundation mechanism of divisions for studying inter-disciplinary, applying theories upon its implementations for practically social benefits.
- To motivate with favourable conditions for forming groups to have studies on national-level to local-level theses.
- To mutiply scientific and technological transfers, to popularize social sciences and humanities into society.
- To have a appropriate concern on student scientific research and give advantages to support young lecturers to improve their research capabilities and supports for broad publications.
- To be active in cooperation with academic partners in the world in order to develop and coordianate to proceed international scientific projects and international scientific conferences.
- To concentrate on works for publications of scientific magazines, referential bools, academic journals and articles.
- To grow in amount of scientific proclamations domestically and internationally (especially, magazines with ISI ans ISSN indicatives)
- To generate and maintain academic meetings and propagate scholarly scientific prints in order to creat an advanced sphere of academy in which scholarly tendencies aroung the world are updated frequently.
- To strive for socializing investing budgets for scientific and technological activities in university.
Office of Scientific Project Management.
- Website: http://www.hcmussh.edu.vn/
- Phone: (84) 08-38- 293 - 828, ext. 122
- Fax : (84) 08-38- 221 - 903
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
USSH Scientific Journal email:
- Email : email@example.com
Contact for Scientific conferences in USSH
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org